Source: www.africanakua.com | Gokah Joshua, Ghana
Have you heard of typhoid fever?
What about the cause and predisposing factors? Get all you need on typhoid fever
Typhoid fever (enteric fever) is a severe bacterial illness which occurs where sanitary conditions are poor permitting contamination of food or water with faecal matter (faeces). So anyone diagnosed with typhoid fever has directly or indirectly eaten faeces.
CAUSES OF TYPHOID FEVER
This disease condition is caused by the Salmonella typhy and paratyphi bacteria.
PREDISPOSING FACTORS OF TYPHOID FEVER
Below are few practices that highly predisposes an individual to typhoid fever
1. Not observing proper handwashing after visiting the toilet
2. Improper hand washing before and after taking meals
3. Drinking of contaminated/ untreated water
4. Leaving food uncovered for flies to hover
5. Failure to wash fruits properly before eating
6. Buying and eating of road side foods that are prepared under hygienic conditions
7. Eating very cold foods
These are but few factors that predisposes an individual to the condition
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS A PERSON WITH TYPHOID FEVER WILL EXHIBIT
Fever which increases gradually to a high fever and persists for weeks (fever does not respond to antimalarials)
• Constipation in the early stages
• Abdominal pain and diarrhoea in the second week of illness
• Severe headache
• Dry cough
• Psychosis and confusion in 10 % of adults
• High fever with a relatively slow pulse rate
• Abdominal tenderness
• Mental confusion
The main diagnostic test that your doctor may request of you is the WIDAL TEST to confirm the diagnosis.
HOW DO YOU PREVENT TYPHOID FEVER?
1. Properly washing hands after visiting the toilet
2. Washing hands properly with soap under running water
3. Washing fruits well with salty water before eating
4. Covering foods well to prevent flies from contaminating it
5. Drinking well treated water/ Boiling and filtering water before consumption
6. Reduce the rate at which you buy road side foods/ check for hygienic conditions before patronizing road side foods
7. Always ensure that the foods you eat are well cooked and warm before eating
This condition is so dangerous that, it can be transmitted within the shortest possible time so victims should be well monitored and isolated to see the doctor for proper pharmacological treatment.