By: Jerry Akornor/www.africanakua.com, Ghana
Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources (MSWR) has begun a nationwide evacuation of twenty-five (25) dumpsites in sixteen(16) Regions of Ghana to improve sanitation and hygiene in the country.
The communities benefiting from the five-day nationwide evacuation exercise that commenced this week include :
3. Korletsom in Lower Manya Krobo Municipality.
6. Nkwantanang within Kwaebibirem Municipality.
7. New Tafo Zongo Dumping Site
8. Osiem Efigya Dumping Site in Abuakwa North Constituency.
9. Amuna Praso
10. Pankese in Birim North.
11. Anyinam behind Urvan Station
12. Anyinam behind Vanderpuye Road
13. New Jejeti behind the Police Station in Atiwa East Municipality of Eastern Region.
The rest are :
14. New Market
15. Day Nursery
16. Dagobaline in Damango of Savannah Region, Upper West Region has no such dump site per a letter addressed to the Sanitation Ministry
17. Ziavi-Adukorpe in Ho of Volta Region.
Other communities include:
18. Akumafie Dumpsite in Tain
21. Koase in Wenchi Municipality of Bono Region.
22. Abaase near Duayaw Nkwanta in Tano North of Ahafo Region.
23. Kpassa at Sibi Road 24. English Arabic School
25. Kanbonwull Road in Nkwanta North D of Oti Region.
Speaking to Africa Nakua’s Jerry Akornor, Zoomlion Sanitation worker at Jejeti in Atiwa East Municipality William Agyekum said “We thank NPP government for evacuating this old-aged refuse dumpsite, we have obligation together with the chiefs to keep the place clean after the exercise”.
Another resident of Jejeti, Akua Yeboah said that “This refuse dumpsite has been the breeding grounds for mosquitoes particularly in the rainy season, we can’t eat in the open except in our bedrooms, this evacuation is a big relief to us”.
On her part, the Assemblywoman for New Jejeti Electoral Area in Atiwa East Municipality, Vida Appiah expressed confidence that “Volunteers and Unit Committee Members will be assigned to guard the land after evacuation to ensure cleanliness, we’II charge offenders to pay fifty Cedis in a bid to maintain hygiene”.
DCE of Atiwa East Lawyer Kwabena Nkansah said his outfit “Will not relent on its responsibility to ensure that culprits who dump refuse indiscriminately after the evacuation exercise are not left off the hook to keep the land clean”.
Meanwhile, a sixty-year old dumpsite has been evacuated at Droboso in Wenchi Municipality to bring reliefs to residents.
Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) of Wenchi in the Ahafo Region, Dr Patrick Kwakye Afriyie, told journalists that the “evacuation of three dump sites in the municipality forms part of the government’s priorities ensure clean country”.
The evacuation exercise is spearheaded by the Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources in collaboration with MMDCEs across Ghana in accordance with President Akufo-Addo’s agenda to make the cleanest country within the West African sub region.